Friday 19 March 2010

What's important in life is not the triumph but the struggle

This is a quote from the obituary of Roy Newell and artist I recently discovered trawling the web. I would love to see his work, it is said that some of the paintings are an inch thick!
I love the obvious battle he has had with shape and colour and the quote above so reminds me of me. I am really bad at stopping and calling a piece finished, I will often add layer after layer over a year or two on a postcard sized painting. I rarely change the shape mostly the juxtaposition of some colours.


Images are from here, where you can find a few more




What tickled me the most however was the bit that describes how his wife had to support him! what price love? Not a snowballs chance in hell of Emin doing that for me.
I have worked hard on my painting this week, hence the lack of posts. I was toying with the idea of releasing a few spring clothes from captivity until today, when it started raining again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.hanshofmann.org/gallery