Friday 16 March 2012

Another whinging post about getting old

I spent far too long reading this curiously addictive blog yesterday, I have become obsessed by ageing, I really had higher hopes of myself that a) I wouldn't be quite so self obsessed at this age, and b) I would not have aged as badly as I have. This is not a diatribe of self pity, well maybe a little, but I am to say the least disappointed at how old I look. Of all the images I scrolled past yesterday this was one of my favourites.

Those that embrace their age seem so much more comfortable and so I must learn to do likewise. I need to stop obsessing and get on with life.


4 comments:

materfamilias said...

After your comment on my post and looking at what you've written here, I wonder what an interesting project you could make using E's photos of you as a starting point. . . .
and I'm a bit disappointed, btw, this hardly constitutes a good whinge at all (kidding!)

Badaude said...

Of course there are women who look(ed) BETTER older (or at least middle-aged): Maggie Smith, Patti Smith (al the Smiths?), Jeanne Moreau, Louise Bourgeois (about whom I've been obsessing a little recently http://phenomenalpeople.tumblr.com/post/18949575611/louise-bourgeois) etc etc...

Mardel said...

I too came here from your comment over at Mater's. This doesn't seem like much of a whinge, but at the same time I can also see how looking at that website can plunge one into the doldrums. I am also certain that none of these photos are casual snaps.

I am sure you could do a lot with the aforementioned photos, and I am reminded at how depressed I am whenever I see family photos where my step-daughter, who is gorgeous, always has stunning photos of herself, and photos of me that could have been clipped from a zombie movie. I am sure I am harder on myself than others are. And I am sure also that E sees things in his photos that you do not.

indigo16 said...

Guys the whinge died when I passed out in my office!
I have so much more to say when I ever get time.
Badaude, I agree that so many women really glow with age, if you love Bourgeois then check out Louise Nevelson she has so much attitude, I love her.
Mater I can't look at my reflection let alone a photograph!
Mardel I do find smiling helps in photographs, which is why I hate him taking my photograph, as he waits for me to scowl!